TikTok’s algorithm surfaces new accounts. This has led some entrepreneurs to take a “wide-base” or “horizontal” method to short-form video promotion.
With this tactic, a enterprise owns a number of TikTok accounts. Every publishes the identical or related movies. The tactic goals to earn extra complete views than if the corporate had shared these short-form movies solely on a single account.
The wide-base account technique seems most typical with content material creators.
For instance, contemplate Travis and Jason Kelce’s “New Heights” podcast, some of the common U.S. sports-related reveals.
The present’s main TikTok account is @newheightshow, which has 3.9 million followers.
Based on a person aware of the podcast, a number of different accounts publish the present’s content material underneath totally different names, resembling @newheightsfootball, @newheightsrewind, and @newheightsclips.
Views earlier than Followers
The wide-base technique goals to get extra views and earn extra followers. The method is noteworthy as a result of the first metric is what number of occasions of us watch the content material. The follower depend — usually the lead KPI for social media advertising — is secondary.
A hypothetical instance would possibly assist. Think about you’re the marketer at Charge Brothers, a model that makes cocktail bitters and egg replacers for drinks such because the traditional whiskey bitter.
Your content material advertising efforts embody a collection of cocktail recipe movies.
The recipe movies are comparatively lengthy and printed on X and YouTube. And every episode is sliced up into brief clips. With the wide-base technique, the model would launch these clips underneath a number of distinctive, albeit small, accounts.
TikTok’s algorithm would floor all of the movies to related customers, increasing or widening the affect. Charge Brother’s main account might obtain probably the most views, however the wide-base accounts would contribute, too.
If the goal is to promote extra cocktail bitters and egg replacers, extra video views might result in extra clients visiting the model’s on-line store. Mission achieved.
Secondarily, these short-form clips introduce viewers to the long-form recipe present and the first Charge Brothers account.
Publishing an identical clips on a number of accounts is probably going efficient, however just a little selection doesn’t harm both. Right here is an instance.
- Major account. Named after the enterprise, this account publishes all the clips and should have its deal with (identify) proven on the clips.
- “Clips” account. This one has a deal with resembling “FeeBrothersClips.” It republishes nearly every little thing from the first account.
- “Followers” account. This one additionally republishes almost every little thing from the first account.
- “Better of” account. Named with “finest” or “bestof” within the deal with, it publishes top-performing and high-priority clips.
- “Errors” account. This account shares clips that includes bloopers or behind-the-scenes motion from the first present. These clips could also be distinctive, sharing the message and implied product promotion.
Comply with the same sample to create a large base of small accounts.
Entrepreneurs ought to monitor short-form views throughout all accounts. Follower depend, the secondary KPI, is measured just for the first account.
For finest wide-based outcomes:
- Use the correct format. Even when your main movies are in an ordinary horizontal format, make vertical clips for TikTok, Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts, Snapchat, and X movies.
- Have a transparent hook to seize consideration. This is likely to be a picture, the video clip’s title, or a thumbnail.
- Preserve it brief. Seasoned entrepreneurs usually suggest 11-to-17 seconds for TikTok, about 10 seconds for Instagram Reels, and as much as a minute for YouTube Shorts, X, and Snapchat.
- Put up persistently. Brief-form video platforms usually have a goal cadence. WordStream, an company, recommends publishing one to 4 occasions each day for every TikTok account.
- Present merchandise in use. Bear in mind the hypothetical Charge Brothers instance. A protracted-form cocktail recipe reveals the corporate’s bitters in use. Do the identical whether or not you promote garments or energy instruments.
- Use humor. A brief-form video is usually finest when it’s humorous and informative. Don’t be afraid to make viewers snigger.
This wide-base video clip technique is supposed to provide comparatively extra short-form video views than a enterprise can generate from a single account. It seems to work finest on TikTok, though it’s value testing on any social media community.